FEBRUARY 2019 EXHIBITOR MANUAL
Welcome to the Chicago Collective! We are proud of the growth of the Show and excited about the opportunities available for all of our Exhibitors. You’ll find this season to feature the best in every category, exciting events as well as fine amenities for both you and your clients.
This manual will guide you through the process of exhibiting at the Chicago Collective. It outlines helpful hints about the Show and associated special events as well as useful information about TheMART. Reference this site for promotional information and ways to maximize your exposure at the Show, operational recommendations for smooth move in, run of show and move out details, and frequently asked questions.
We look forward to your arrival and working with you to ensure another great show this February!
This is the official Chicago Collective operations services portal for your booth set-up needs. Access booth service order forms, as well as, shipping, set-up and dismantle information. You can also order labor, material handling, electric service, housekeeping, and/or furniture rental.
FREIGHT DELIVERY HOURS
Thursday, February 14 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Friday, February 15 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Saturday, February 16 8:00 am - 3:00 pm [POV’s -Personal Owned Vehicles Only]
Friday, February 15 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday, February 16 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sunday, February 17 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Monday, February 18 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Tuesday, February 19 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Tuesday, February 19 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Wednesday, February 20 8:00 am – 12:00 noon
FREIGHT AND PERSONALLY OWNED VEHICLE (POV) LOAD OUT HOURS
Tuesday, February 19 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm (POVs only)
Wednesday, February 20 8:00 am – 12 Noon
POV’s will begin upon the completion of the return of empties.
SHIPPING & FREIGHT DELIVERY
SHIPPING WINDOW FOR FEDEX/UPS/SMALL PACKAGE SERVICES:
PACKAGES WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13- SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16
WE URGE YOU TO HAVE YOUR PACKAGES DELIVERED ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 OR THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14 TO ENSURE FRIDAY MORNING DELIVERY TO YOUR BOOTH.
PACKAGES DELIVERED BEFORE WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 WILL INCUR AN STORAGE FEE OF $55/100LBS.
Deliveries from both FedEx and UPS to the Mart (including priority shipments) tend to be random during high shipping periods prior to the show. FedEx and UPS deliveries received after Thursday, February 14 will be delivered to your booth as they are received and signed for. However, since FedEx and UPS deliveries to the Mart are inconsistent, please be advised that even priority shipments to your booth may be significantly delayed.
DIRECT SHIPPING TO MART DOCK
[Your Company Name]
[Your Booth Number – 7th Floor]
c/o Merchandise Mart Properties, Inc.
222 Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL 60654
- Consolidate all freight—booth, merchandise, literature, etc.—into one shipment.
- Clearly label all packages with show name, company name, and booth number. Remove all old labels.
- All freight must be no larger than 5’ wide x 10’ long x 5’8” high and weigh less than 2,000 pounds. Any freight that exceeds these measurements and MMPI does feel safe to turn on its side will be charged a handling fee of $55 per item, per trip. MMPI is not responsible for damage or loss to product during turning. Any items too large to move will be held at the loading dock for unpacking. An hourly surcharge will be applied and your booth set-up will be delayed.
- Create a detailed inventory sheet of every item you are shipping or bringing to the show. Be able to provide the number of units, item descriptions (i.e. cartons, cases, crates, and/or individual items), and weight for all shipments being delivered to the Show.
- All shipments should include piece count to ensure proper tracking, manifesting, and delivery of freight.
- Insure your merchandise against theft, damage, and loss from the time it leaves your facility until it returns.
A handling charge of $55.00 per 100lbs will be applied to shipments that exceed the allotted weight in your booth package. Please check with your Sales Representative to confirm your allotted weight.
A handling charge of $55.00 per 100lbs is applied to shipments that arrive outside the designated shipping schedules OR to shipments that exceed the freight size limitations or arrive loose and uncrated.
UPS/FED EX/SMALL PACKAGE SERVICES
All packages will be received through the loading dock. Please note that piece counts cannot be guaranteed for such shipments. Where possible, exhibitors may avoid delays and extra charges by having express deliveries shipped to their hotel. Any packages received outside of the designated shipping schedule will be billed at a rate of $55.00 per 100lbs.
FREIGHT MOVE-IN AND OUT
FREIGHT DELIVERY HOURS
Direct Deliveries to Dock:
Thursday, February 14 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Friday, February 15 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Saturday, February 16 8:00 am - 3:00 pm — POV’s Only
Tuesday, February 19 3:00 pm - 7:00pm — POV’s Only
* The loading of Personally Owned Vehicles, [POV’s] will begin upon completion of the return of empties.
COMMON CARRIER PICK-UP
Wednesday, February 20 8:00 am – 12:00 noon
Carriers must be checked in by 12:00 pm
You may ship your materials from the show via any carrier. You are required only to contact your carrier, pack your materials, and file a Bill of Lading with the freight desk. Merchandise Mart Properties, Inc. assumes no responsibility for shipments until they are collected from the exhibitor’s booth. A representative of the exhibitor should remain with their property until this has been done.
Airways Freight Systems is the preferred shipper of Chicago Collective. However, each exhibitor is free to choose their own means of shipping.
Rogers Worldwide is the official customs broker and international freight forwarder for Chicago Collective.
DIRECTIONS TO THE LOADING DOCK
- Directions to The Merchandise Mart Loading Dock (Common Carrier/Large Trucks): From I-90/94, exit on Ohio Street. At the first light, turn right onto Orleans. Proceed for 3 blocks and turn right onto Hubbard. Proceed for 1 block and turn left onto Kingsbury. Continue for 1 block and turn left onto Kinzie. Continue on Kinzie for 1 block until you reach a stop sign. Turn right into the dock.
- Directions to The Merchandise Mart Loading Dock (Cars and Small Trucks): From I-90/94, exit on Ohio Street. At second light, turn right onto Franklin. Continue four blocks south on Franklin to Kinzie. Turn right onto Kinzie. At the first stop sign, turn left into the dock.
An L stop, appropriately called The Merchandise Mart, on the CTA’s brown line conveniently drops visitors on the 2nd floor of the building. Additionally, there is easy access to multiple CTA bus routes within 4 blocks of The Merchandise Mart. Learn more here: https://www.transitchicago.com/
Friday, August 3 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday, August 4 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
All exhibits must be set up by 4:00 pm on Saturday, August 4. No construction, arranging, or setting up of exhibits, including deliveries or moving of products, are permitted during show hours.
- If you are unsure if your display requires labor, submit the Customization of Booth Request Form and our Operations Team will gladly respond.
- Please note that display materials must adhere to Chicago Fire Department Rules and Regulations. If you require further information, please contact our Exhibitor Services Team at (312) 527-7587.
- Exhibitors may hand-carry small items, but we ask that they refrain from using handcarts, flatbeds, or dollies. Our Material Handling Staff is on hand to facilitate such moves.
Tuesday, February 19 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Wednesday, February 20 8:00 am – 12:00 noon
MMPI will return your empty containers as soon as possible; however, it may take several hours for all empty containers to be returned. MMPI will handle the standard refurbishing of booth walls. Excessive damage to wall panels will be the responsibility of the individual exhibitors.
CONTRACTOR AND LABOR INFORMATION
You have the option of employing your own union labor to assist with the installation of your booth. If you choose to use the services of an outside contractor, also referred to as an Exhibitor Appointed Contractor (EAC), we ask that you complete the form on Boomer here.
Exhibitors who wish to employ EACs should make known to them the following guidelines:
- The EAC shall be given the right to provide services requested of them by an exhibitor in set-up and dismantling on the show floor, and shall have the right to utilize qualified employees registered in advance.
- Services shall not conflict with labor regulations or contracts including jurisdictions claimed by local labor unions. The EAC shall adhere to the rules and regulations in this manual.
- The EAC shall possess a valid public liability and property damage insurance policy for at least $2,000,000. The certificate of insurance must name Merchandise Mart Properties, Inc., Merchandise Mart L.L.C., Vornado Realty Trust and Vornado Realty L.P. as additional insured.
- The EAC shall have a true and valid work order from an exhibitor in advance of the show move-in date and shall not solicit business on the show floor or during move-in or move-out dates.
- The EAC will share with MMPI all reasonable costs related to their operation including overtime pay for stewards, restoration of the exhibit space to its initial condition, etc.
- The EAC shall cooperate fully with MMPI, especially with regard to the efficient utilization of labor.
Any labor personnel working in your booth must be one of the following:
- Your own company personnel (depending on the type of work being done, union labor may be required). See Union Regulations for additional information.
- Exhibitor appointed contractor. EACs must comply with guidelines regarding EACs. See Exhibitor Appointed Contractors for additional information.
To request MMPI Union Labor, please visit Boomer here. Additional guidelines regarding Labor should be reviewed on this form.
All orders for dismantling labor must be confirmed no later than 10:00 am on Monday, July 16, 2018.
Various unions claim jurisdiction over all set-up and dismantling of exhibits including carpentry, electrical and material handling to name a few. Your personnel may work along with a union installer, if one is necessary.
Please contact Sergio Camargo at (312) 527-7587 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding union regulations.
OVERVIEW OF WHAT EXHIBITORS GET
Also known as “materials handling,” drayage is the labor to receive freight during move-in, delivering it to your booth, removing empty containers, storing and returning them after the show, and loading materials for outbound shipping. Each booth is allotted a certain amount of complimentary drayage based on the size of your booth and calculated by the total weight of your shipments. Please refer to your contract for the Chicago Collective for freight/drayage charges.
Exhibit space includes a grey carpet, a 120 volt, a 150 watt duplex electrical outlet, and a 1’x4’ fluorescent ceiling fixture. Each exhibitor receives one wastebasket and the Basic Equipment Package as detailed in the exhibitor contract.
BOOTH IDENTIFICATION SIGN
All exhibitor spaces will be identified with a clean, simple booth sign that includes company name and booth number. As necessary, multiple signs will be available for large spaces to help attendees navigate the show floor.
EQUIPMENT & SERVICES
As part of our service, MMPI ensures that all booths will be vacuumed prior to the show at no charge. If you require additional cleaning services, please visit Boomer here and place an order.
If you would like to have MMPI customize your booth in any way that involves construction, painting, or flooring, please complete an order request in Boomer here. MMPI will provide a quote that must be approved by the Exhibitor before the production of the custom work starts. Alternatively, you may contract an installer to do such work for you, consistent with the rules regarding Exhibitor Appointed Contractors.
EXHIBIT SPACE INCLUDES: HARD WHITE WALLS, GRAY CARPET, 150 WATT ELECTRICAL OUTLET, WASTEBASKET, LED TUBE LIGHTING THROUGHOUT & THE BASIC EQUIPMENT PACKAGE (SHOWN HERE).
Please see below for the lighting that comes with your booth space. Each exhibitor also receives booth identification signage, one chair and one wastebasket and the basic equipment package above. Please note that your booth will not have any equipment unless you specified quantities on your contract for the basic equipment package. See Order Forms or Upgrade your Booth Package for a listing of additional equipment and services available. For questions regarding these services, call (312) 527-7587.
Booths and corridors are carpeted in gray. If you would like to install custom flooring, please submit a request for a custom booth here.
BOOTH LIGHTING AND ELECTRICAL SERVICES
Each 10’ x 10’ space is equipped with a 1’x4’ LED light fixture, and a 150 watt duplex outlet. All electrical services will be provided and installed by The Merchandise Mart. To order additional lights, please see visit Boomer here. Questions regarding the acceptability of your electrical set-up may be directed to (312) 527-7587.
BUSINESS SERVICES/SERVICE DESK
The Exhibitor Service Desks, located on the 7th floor, offers business services, including photocopying and faxing. The Service Desk can also respond to questions about shipping, materials handling, and billing, and will be happy to assist you in placing orders for booth services or equipment.
VENDORS AND SERVICES
BOOTH STAFFING, DRESSERS & STEAMER HELP
For your temporary booth staffing needs, including dressers and steamer help, please refer to the GCJ Order Form.
A number of food-service providers conveniently located within The Merchandise Mart are prepared to meet your catering requests. Please see most-used catering contacts below. For additional providers, please call (312) 527-7587.
- Artisan Cellar | Wine & Cheese | Contact: Phillip Bernstein | (312) 527-5810
- Au Bon Pain | Drop Off Service | (312) 755-9779
- Holiday Inn Mart Plaza | Full Service | Contact: John Dexter | (312) 529-1133
- Foodstuffs | Full Service | Contact: Jay Liberman | (847) 328- 7710
PHOTOGRAPHY, VIDEOTAPING & BROADCASTING
Photographing, videotaping, filming, or sound recording is prohibited without the prior written consent of Show Management.
Show security will be on duty 24 hours a day from move-in to move-out, but cannot and should not be counted on to provide more than a presence to inhibit theft. To help provide for the security of merchandise in your booth, we advise you to staff your booth at all times and not to leave valuables unattended. Any exhibitor requiring special guard services may request such services with the approval of Show Management.
Jeff Caldwell | 312.527.7700 | email@example.com
A limited amount of steamers are available on a first come first serve basis at the Exhibitor Service Desk. The rental charge is $31/hour.
NEW: For your convenience, complimentary Wif-Fi service is available on the 7th Floor.
All members of the MMPI staff are a team. Show Management requests that exhibitors do not offer gratuity for labor.
Please contact onPeak Travel Services at (800) 528-8700 or click here to reserve the lowest available airfare and discounted rates at Chicago’s finest, most conveniently located hotels.
Bottled water services can be ordered through Hinckley Springs by calling (773) 586-8600
EMPTY CONTAINER STORAGE
Due to City of Chicago Fire Ordinances, packing materials may not remain on the show floor while the show is open. Flammable containers must be removed from the floor.
When your containers are empty, obtain "EMPTY" labels from the Exhibitor Service Desk. Use the labels to mark your crates, boxes and containers with your company name and booth number. Leave the containers in the aisle; for your convenience, these empty labeled containers will be picked up by MMPI staff and returned to you at the end of the Show. Please remember that you will not have access to these containers during the show.